Sunday, March 29, 2015

Fish n' Onion Rings

I'll make this one quick since I am on the road - back in Michigan in fact. Once again, I know this observation is not going to be the same everywhere, but overall this is what I'm seeing. 

It's Lent, so Friday fish fry’s abound both north and south. hat I've noticed is a difference in the way fish tends to be prepared between the two areas. I not only like a good fish fry, but I prefer onion rings when they are available. 

Up north, batter is the primary way both fish and onion rings are prepared. Beer battered this and that nearly everywhere.


Down south, breading seems to be the main preparation, with cornmeal being king. 


They are both good, and I'd never think of having catfish any way but breaded in cornmeal, but I grew up with beer-batter and that's just my preference. It's been nice to get some on this visit. Beer battering is trickier, so I've not been able to master the preparation at home. I can get it, just not consistently. breaded is a better choice for  
my home attempts.

No comments:

Post a Comment