Sunday, July 12, 2015

Raptors

Many species of birds may be considered partly or exclusively predatory. However, in ornithology, the term "bird of prey," or "raptor" applies only to birds that have very good eyesight for finding food, strong feet for holding food, and a strong curved beak for tearing flesh. Most birds of prey also have strong curved talons for catching or killing prey. Birds of prey generally prey on vertebrates, which are usually quite large relative to the size of the bird. Most also eat carrion, at least occasionally, and vultures and condors eat carrion as their main food source. Many raptor species are considered apex predators.


I doubt that there are *more* birds of prey in Florida, but I certainly see more. I've only spotted owls up north, though I have heard them here. Up north, vultures are migratory birds - we'd see them ominously flying in large groups overhead during the Halloween parade at the grade school, and the first one back were the true harbingers of spring (some robins north stay year 'round nowadays). Here in the South we have two types of vulture - turkey and black. The head of a turkey vulture is red, while that of the black is, well, black. The position of the grey wing feathers helps you tell them apart in flight.



I was surprised at how many bald eagles I've seen. I certainly know they are primarily fishing birds, and of course I'm by a coast, but except for the occasional eagle seen along the Great Lakes or the Mississippi River, my mind has come to accept the media connection between bald eagles and snow-capped mountains. 




Hawks are a bit different here, and there are LOTS of ospreys. Again, I've seen one before here and there, but a good number hang around one of the longest bridges over the St. Johns River, so you can nearly always see one when you cross. Just this Friday I saw one flying with a large fish in its talons. Very cool.


But the coolest raptor here is the Swallow-Tailed Kite. It winters in Brazil and returns to Florida each spring to nest. They can be seen, usually soaring overhead, between March and August. A stunning and distinctive bird.




To me, more than beaches and palm trees, the best part of Florida is the birds.   

No comments:

Post a Comment