Sunday, April 19, 2015

Top Ten things about life in the South

I've written a few posts lately that talk about some of the things I don't like about the move. Some are things I miss about the old life up north, and others are some things I don't like about here. I just wrote another and decided to save that one and post about some of the things I LIKE about the South. Since it was a last-minute change, I didn't write all of these myself, but pulled some top tens from other folks that make MY top ten, plus added a few of my own comments here and there.

1. The beaches. Southern beaches are among the most gorgeous beaches in the U.S. Whether it's the fine, powdery white sands of beaches along the Gulf of Mexico in the Deep South or the gorgeous, tan sands of North Carolina's Outer Banks and the Atlantic Coast, the beaches are plentiful, the water sports are fantastic and, well, they are just first-rate. I don't spend as much time there as I like, but I can go whenever I want to.


2. History. Inescapable and heavy as a wet blanket: Old country roads, barns and gins, Indian mounds, Ole Man River, ruined mansions, town squares with benches, shade trees, and ancient, heaving sidewalks. 


3. Southern hospitality. Okay, I know the south gets a bad rap sometimes. I know there are racists. I know there are homophobes. I know there are Honey Boo Boos and dynasties of ducks. But there are also the sweetest, kindest, most generous people you will ever meet and they are one of my favorite things about the south. I feel like this way of thinking is just as prevalent as some of the more controversial ways of thinking down south, you just don’t hear about it as much. 



4. Southern colloquialisms. Bless your heart. Don’t be ugly to your “sister, brother cousin,” Carry me to “school, church, Piggly Wiggly”. Act like you’re somebody. Hear tell. Full of beans. Come sit a spell, be there directly, ice box, pea-cans, yes ma’am and sir. And, drum roll please — y’all. Can we just take a moment to talk about how “y’all” is perhaps the most useful phrase in the entire English language, but only a small section of the country actually uses it? I mean, its closest northern variation is probably “you guys,” which is clunky and awkward, not to mention a little sexist. “Y’all” is soft and inclusive and oh-so-lovely when uttered in a slow Southern drawl. It’s a linguistic gem that Southerners sprinkle into pretty much every conversation. Love it.




5. The food. Fried chicken. Barbecue. Gumbo. Biscuits and gravy. Boiled peanuts. Shrimp and grits. Pulled pork. Cornbread. Brisket. Jambalaya. Fried okra. Mac and cheese. Catfish po boys. Shall I go on? Actually I can’t because now I’m hungry and need to go get a snack.



6. Friendly people. I had no idea just how much smiling, waving, and “How you doin’, darlin'”s would be involved in daily life here. It takes some getting used to, but overall it’s pretty great.





7. College football Saturdays. Explaining the myriad delights of a football Saturday in the South to anyone who has not enjoyed them may be impossible – like trying to describe the ocean to a blind man. The SEC is king in the South overall, and you'd better follow the games if you want to be part of the conversation in my office.


8. Humidity. OK, I know I’m going to regret saying this when it gets so disgustingly hot and humid that I can do nothing but lay on the floor and beg for mercy, BUT there is an upside to the muggy weather: great skin. Summer in the South is like living in a sauna, which means you don’t need any expensive spa treatments to clear your pores. Plus, your skin never gets dry, which helps stave off wrinkles. Once you wipe off the thick layer of sweat, you’re met with the most lovely, glowing skin you’ll ever see in your life. You could get a $100 facial, or you could step outside for 5 minutes in the South in July. Take your pick!




9. The slower pace. When my coworkers and I go for walks, they’re always like, “Slow down! You’re walking like a Northerner!” There’s some truth to the protests, though: life definitely moves slower here. Is it because of the heat and humidity, which physically prevents you from picking up speed? Is it because people actually take the time to stop and chat with their neighbors? Is it because everyone’s weighed down from eating too many biscuits? I’m not sure, but compared to the never-ending go-go-go attitude of many northern cities, it’s a nice change.




10. Magnolia grandiflora. This grand old tree — the scented flowers of which the Indians claimed would lull a soul into perpetual sleep — grows nowhere else but the Deep South. Azaleas are a close second.



No comments:

Post a Comment