Sunday, February 1, 2015

Religion, Part One

Religious practices are expressed differently in the South. Deep-down, I don't think people are *more* religious down here, just that it is more visible. Up north, people overall are more reserved and private regarding their beliefs. Down south, it is an open part of daily life.

Wikipedia states: The Bible Belt is an informal term for a region in the south-eastern and south-central United States in which socially conservative evangelical Protestantism is a significant part of the culture and Christian church attendance across the denominations is generally higher than the nation's average. The Bible Belt consists of much of the Southern United States.



I'm not just referring to Southern Baptists or the Megachurch group. The gal in the office next to mine goes to the same Catholic Church that I do, but you would not know it comparing our offices. I have one small icon (which I think is pretty) in my office. Hers definitely says 'Catholic.' Even the local police have regular times to sit with their lights on for 20 minutes to assist in traffic going into and out of numerous churches on Sunday, if they don’t have a traffic light. Up north, I’m only used to seeing taking up police time in this manner for funerals and such.

Megachurches, while located in every region of the country, is most prevalent in the South. (California has the greatest number of Megachurches by individual state.) Since Protestants are the predominant group in the Bible Belt, and in my experience I think of the 'personal Savior' ideology as associated with Protestants, I find the Megachurch concept at odds with that. Now, I may have things wrong, this is just my experience and opinion, but to me any church which has 5000+ people at one service would have a difficult time making any concept personal.


I have maintained my more northern, reserved approach to religion, but if a conversation is started I am more likely to participate now. I also have begun to join in church activities since I've come South, primarily the Homeless Ministry.

No comments:

Post a Comment